It’s time to promote the ON4KST.com real-time ham chat rooms again. I have a permanent link on the middle right side of the home page here at kc9bqa.com but I know how it is, trying to scan a website for every useful nugget of info and your eyes start glazing over. So here’s what you need to know:
www.on4kst.com has a free, no obligation VHF/UHF chat that all are welcome to use. This is what we need to improve activity. During nets, band openings, any time at all. Sign up is simple and free. Chat when you want, or just observe.
For many years (at least back to 2001 or 2002) there’s been a popular 50 MHz chat that 1000’s of hams have enjoyed. Honestly, being able to observe that 6 meter chat really motivated me to get my license and to get on VHF/UHF.
I always thought it would be good to have a 144 MHz and up chat, too. Back on March 10, 2010, ON4KST — Alain — kindly created a V/UHF chat we can use.
Spread the word that VHF/UHF’ers everywhere should get registered for this chat. It’s totally free and no strings attached. By now, I believe there are 5000+ registered users just in North America.
How do you sign up for the on4kst.com chat?
1) Go to www.on4kst.com Click on “Try the low band, 50/70MHz, 144/432MHz …. chats”
2) There’s the chats you can join. Choose any one — you have to register first anyway.
3) So choose a chat, and now you see “Not registered yet? — Click HERE” Click that.
4) Enter your email, call, password (choose your own), grid square and name. Click register.
5) Shortly, you’ll get an email with your activation key to log in.
6) Once you’re registered, click on the IARU Region 2 144/432 chat, and see what’s going on.
7) Also enjoy the IARU Region 2 50 MHz chat. Many USA/VE and some DX use it. Lots of good ham discussions go on in these chat rooms — the 6m room is how I learned at least 50-70% of what I know about weak-signal V/UHF ops.
A personal note from KC9BQA — as I have sold most of my station and haven’t been on the air since early 2014, it’s possible that some things have changed with the ON4KST.com chat. If you find that any of the info above is outdated, please email me (I’m good on qrz.com) and let me know so I can make corrections. But my guess is everything is still the way it was back in 2014 and 2015.